Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Finding my Happy Place

A great person once told me...stay busy...it will keep your mind from wandering and thinking that things are worse then what they are. I agree...and disagree. I think it is a balance of keeping busy when you are frustrated...and learning to control ones thoughts when your mind is idle. I am great at staying busy...its those quiet hours when I need to reflect back on the good things....the great things.

Last fall while I visited Hawaii, I had the chance to watch 3 stingrays in the open ocean. They were less than 15 feet from the sand where we stood...and it was one of the most breath taking things that I can remember. It was amazing that they were this close to shore and how lucky were the kids and I to witness them. My kids were in awe at what they were seeing. That moment sticks with me...and is one that calms my mind.

I reflect back on those moments of true happiness...kids smiling...the warm sun...my brother casting his net off the reef...the stingrays in the ocean. The combination of those things have created one of my favorite memories...because the ones that I loved...were with me. The ones that are the most important in my life...were there to experience something beautiful.

If you ask my kids...Would you rather go to Disneyland or Hawaii? They will always tell you that they would want to go to Hawaii. I love that. My home can be anywhere on this planet...but my heart will always be there. I think that same sentiment resonates for my kids. My happy place are my keiki...my ohana... and my birthplace. As long as I have these things...my life will always be complete.

-Kala

1 comment:

  1. I imagine that was absolutely amazing! We have to hold onto those things that created the happiness within us for those times when we need to reflect back! I have been to Hawaii once, and I will never forget it. I was able to do a boat tour and there were dolphins jumping everywhere, swimming by the boat, almost close enough for me to reach out and touch. Sun radiating down on me, water from the ocean splashing my face..relaxed, laid back atmosphere...that is my Happy Place.

    ReplyDelete