6 Months ago I jokingly agreed that I would join the Spartan Beast in Utah...Little did I know what I was in for. At that time...I was incredibly out of shape...although I didn't think that I was. I found that out quickly when I stepped into the gym for the first time and ended up leaving my lunch in the bathroom toilet. I think that I spent 25 whole minutes in the workout area before my body was completely overcome with fatigue. It was at that moment in time that I realized...that I was not ready for this challenge. If less than a half hour in a gym had sapped me completely of energy, what would the hills of Soldier Hollow do to me in the almost 100 degree heat? Something had to be done...and quick. The next few months were focused on my cardio and nutrition. I ran more and consulted friends and family who were experienced marathoners.
Fast Forward to June 30, 2012 (sometime in the afternoon). The Finish Line is in viewing distance. My Teammate that I had run the entire course is with me and some of my other teammates are waiting for us to finish up together. 5 obstacles to go...and my team is helping each other to finish each of the obstacles. My legs are cramping, calves are cramping, my body presses on. My teammate practically throws my over the wall and then its my turn to help him over. Then its the barbed wire mud crawl...no biggie...and finally the Spartans at the finish line.
As we run towards them, my body fills with a mixture of calm and elation. The excitement of completing this journey occupies my mind. We race pass them with very little issue. For hours on end, I survived on gel packs, water, salt and a bowl of cereal. My body burned thousands of calories and was running on pure adrenaline...but now the race is over...now the months of training has come full circle...now I can rest. I told myself that I would never do another race like this again...however, I just signed up for next years Spartan Beast, 2012 Tough Mudder and the Dirty Dash.
Until the next race....
~Kala
Until the next race....
~Kala
What a great thing to accomplish as a team! So, three more events in view...
ReplyDelete